Yesterday I had a major headache and was dreading coming home to cook. My husband went in for a dental check up earlier in the day, and ended up having some unplanned work done. He was needing something that would be easy to eat. Originally, I had planned to make a chicken dish, but knew that I needed to think of something that would be more realistic for dinner. I did not want to go out to eat, and I knew that it would be my husband’s first choice. That is when it hit me, Mom’s Tomato Tortellini Soup.
It is easy for me to throw together and I already have most of the ingredients. This was a favorite of mine growing up, and something my sister and I both love to make on a cold winter day.
I love making recipes that my mom made for us when we were younger. My mom is an amazing cook. My husband always jokes that he married me for my mom’s cooking, so I like to make her recipes any chance I get.
A majority of the ingredients are items that are always in my pantry and refrigerator besides the tortellini, but seeing as I am in and out of grocery stores all day for work it was easy to just pick up the tortellini at my last stop.
My mom originally found this recipe in a magazine before there was internet 🙂 It quickly became a staple in our family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
- 2 medium Zucchini
- 1/2 a Yellow Onion
- 3 (14 1/2 oz.) cans of Beef Broth
- 1 pkg (9 oz) Cheese Tortellini
- 1 (14 oz.) jar Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian Herb Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese
*If you want to make this a little more hearty, add some of your favorite sliced sausage in as well.
1. Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add tortellini and cook 5 minutes.
2. While cooking tortellini cut zucchini and onion in half and slice.
3. Add zucchini, onion, pasta sauce, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes longer.
4. Top with grated parmesan cheese if desired.