Since I had the day off today, I decided to cook up my favorite meal from a past HelloFresh meal. Find the original recipe here. I also love any chance I get to cook in my cast iron skillet. It has become my favorite pan. Thanks Mom and Dad!
HelloFresh has been a great addition every couple of weeks, it gives me a new recipe to try and it comes right to my door step. If I don’t like the recipes that are coming up, I simply skip that week.
I decided to try HelloFresh awhile back since I had a free box. I then purchased a Groupon to get a few more discounted boxes. They currently have a deal right now. Click the link to check it out!
These have been great on busy weeks when I don’t have time to go shopping. I also love that they send you exactly the right amount of ingredients, so no wasting of food, and I get leftovers for lunch the following day. Click the link to check out HelloFresh for yourself.
This recipe was originally made with shrimp, but I changed up things a bit and used chicken this time. I also seasoned my chicken with some homemade lemon pepper seasoning. This recipe does take about 55 minutes to cook, so make sure you have the time. Even though it takes awhile to cook it is so worth the wait!
- 8 oz of Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion
- 1 Zucchini
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- 3/4 cup of Arborio Rice
- 1/4 oz of Thyme
- 1 slice of Chicken Breast
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small pot, bring chicken stock and 2 cups of water to a simmer over low heat. Halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Cut zucchini into 1/2-inch cubes. Mince or grate garlic. Zest and halve lemon.
2. Make your chicken seasoning. Place pepper, lemon zest (save 1/2 tsp for later), salt, and garlic powder in a small container and mix. Rub 1/2 seasoning on each side of the chicken. Place the chicken into your pan to sear on each side. Remove and place into a pan for the oven.
3. Add olive oil to your lemon pepper seasoning. Pour over seared chicken. Add lemon slices and thyme leaves to the pan. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Toss zucchini on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until lightly browned, about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
5. Wipe the cast iron skillet clean. Heat 1 TBSP butter in a large pan over medium heat. I used my cast iron skillet for this part and it worked out perfectly. Add onion and garlic. Cook until softened, 5-6 minutes, tossing occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add rice and toss until grains are translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add entire bunch of thyme to pan. Add desired amount of mushrooms.
6. Add stock to pan 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Allow rice to absorb stock before adding more. Continue until rice is nearly al dente, about 25 minutes. (This only took about 15 minutes before it was ready.)
7. While rice is cooking, remove chicken and zucchini from the oven. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
8. Remove thyme stems (some leaves will have fallen off). Stir in chicken and parmesan cheese. Stir in 1/2 tsp lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Divide risotto into bowls and top with a mound of zucchini.